Find more garden information
Our recent e-mail survey was a big success, with a whopping 15,000 customers participating! You gave us lots of great information that we'll be putting to use over the coming months. We thought you might be interested some of the things we learned:
1. Why do you garden? Most people said it's because they enjoy spending time outside and around plants (91%) and because they love flowers (78%). Other reasons for gardening included being connected to the natural world (69%), having a beautiful property to be proud of (68%) and being able to grow your own food (61%).
2. We were curious to know how experienced our customers are as gardeners. Most people (53%) consider themselves a garden enthusiast. 32% call themselves casual gardeners and 9% of you put yourselves in the category of master gardener, with a wealth of knowledge and experience.
3. Gardening isn't always a bed of roses. When asked to list your biggest challenges, weeds and insect pests took the top slot (55%), followed by watering (57%) and that vexing problem of "not enough time" (40%).
4. Though many of us feel like we don't have as much time to garden as we'd like, we were happy to see that more than 40% of our respondents spend more than 8 hours each week in their garden. This is how it broke out: 0-4 hrs (16%), 4-8 hrs (40%), 8-16 hrs (30%), 16+ hrs (12%).
5. Is gardening in danger of losing out to knitting, skydiving or some other leisure time pursuit? Doesn't look like it! When we asked whether you plan to garden more or garden less this coming season, most people said MORE (48%). Almost everyone else said "about the same" (48%), with just 4% saying that they think they'll be gardening less.
6. This year we saw an increase in the number of people who garden because they want to have more control over what their family eats. There was also an increase in the number of people who consider buying organically-grown food and using organic gardening methods to be "very important".
Thanks again to everyone who took the survey. Here's hoping you are able to enjoy lots of wonderful hours in your garden this season, are not bothered by too many weeds or bugs, and have armloads of flowers to pick and a bountiful, healthy harvest to eat!
Last updated: 10/24/15
Stay up to date on new articles and advice.
Gardening Success Guaranteed
Garden Lab Designed & Tested
Support a Community that Cares
Expert Garden Advice