Spaghetti with Arugula-Almond Pesto
By Andrea Bemis
A rainy day at the Farmer's Market resulted in us coming home with more produce than wed hoped to. The good news is that I put the abundance of fresh arugula to good use and made a few pints of arugula-almond pesto. Im freezing some and giving a few jars away to some neighbors. Its a tasty sauce and made for a simple yet flavorful dinner after a long day at the market. We enjoyed this spaghetti with a simple arugula salad and glass of white wine for good measure.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound spaghetti
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
1. Combine the arugula, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse, until coarsely pureed. With the motor running slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Continue to process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Return the spaghetti to the pan, add the pesto and toss until evenly coated, adding reserved pasta water, a little at a time, if the pasta seems a bit dry.
3. Divide between bowls and top with parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes and a drizzle of olive oil. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
Use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.
Photo by Kate Schwager
A farmer to foodie, Andrea Bemis is truly manifesting the farm-to-table lifestyle. Here she shares her delicious recipe creations from her farm in Parkdale, Oregon. Andrea is author of Dishing Up the Dirt Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons. Find her at dishingupthedirt.com
Last updated: 02/17/2021
Share this Article:
People who read this article often purchase
Get the Dirt
Stay up to date on new articles and advice. Please fill out the information below.