Smoky Eggplant Tahini Dip
By Andrea Bemis
This dip is so darn good that Im thinking of using it as a base for pizza soon. Grab your best friend, neighbor or lover, crack open some wine, slice up a baguette of bread and dig in! The flavors here are simple yet intense and I hope you all enjoy this dip as much as we do. Cheers from Tumbleweed Farm.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
Serves: 1 cup
- 1 large globe eggplant, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 large cloves of garlic, left in their skins
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- pinch of za'atar (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons minced parsley
- extra virgin olive oil for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Place the eggplant cut side down along with the garlic on a baking sheet with the olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the eggplant is charred and very tender. About 35-40 minutes.
2. When cool enough to handle scrape the flesh of the eggplant (even the charred bits and some of the skin is okay too!) into the bowl of a food processor or blender. Slip the garlic out of its skin and add the lemon juice, tahini, cumin, sumac (if using) and za'atar (if using). Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed.
3. Scoop the dip into a bowl and top with minced parsley, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and more za'atar if using.
Serve with toasted sliced of baguette or crackers.
Use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary.
Photo by Kate Schwager
A farmer to foodie, Andrea Bemis is truly manifesting the farm-to-table lifestyle. Here she shares her delicious recipe creations from her farm in Parkdale, Oregon. Andrea is author of Dishing Up the Dirt Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Cooking Through the Seasons. Find her at dishingupthedirt.com
Last updated: 02/17/2021
Share this Article:
People who read this article often purchase
Get the Dirt
Stay up to date on new articles and advice. Please fill out the information below.