Sesame-Miso Cucumber Salad
By Andrea Bemis
I love cucumbers and find that theyre an easy vegetable to add to pretty much any summer dish. Ill add sliced cucumbers to my glass of water throughout the day and particularly enjoy snacking on them with a pinch of flakey sea salt and fresh lime juice. However, when were expecting company at the farm this is the way I want to showcase this seasonal delight. Bright, crunchy, and bursting with fresh flavors this is what summer salads are all about! With the addition of avocado and plenty of cilantro this is the kind of salad Ill turn to for the rest of the season. Serve with grilled chicken, fish or even tofu for a complete and healthy weeknight dinner.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2-1/2 tablespoons white miso
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1-1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, minced, white and light green parts only
- 2 medium sized cucumbers, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 small avocado, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1. In a small dry skillet over medium heat toast the sesame seeds until golden brown. About 2-3 minutes. Shake the pan a few times while toasting.
2. In a large bowl combine the toasted sesame seeds, miso, tahini, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, hot water and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir well. Add the cucumbers, avocado and cilantro. Toss well. Serve immediately.
This salad tastes best when served within 30 minutes of preparing it. Use this recipe as a guide. Adjust measurements and ingredients as necessary. Taste test as you go.
Share this Article:
Get the Dirt
Stay up to date on new articles and advice. Please fill out the information below.