This self watering propagation system waters by capillary action—water is sucked up from the water reservoir below by the capillary matting. The capillary matting is supported above the water reservoir by the stilted plastic inner platform. All you have to do is sit your propagators on the capillary matting to ensure that they have a long term water supply.
Instructions for use
1. Position the stilted inner support platform feet down in the tray.
2. Pre-dampen the capillary matting. This ensures an immediate capillary water flow.
3. Place the capillary matting rough side up on the inner support platform, ensuring an equal overhang at each end. Tuck the overhaning ends of the capillary matting down inside the water reservoir.
4. Locate the water fill point on the inner support platform, marked with the words "Fill Here." With scissors, cut away the capillary matting around this point, to expose a water refill hole.
5. Fill the reservoir with water. The propagator is now ready for planting.
Remember that successful capillary watering requires soil to be in contact with the capillary matting. Therefore, make sure the soil is exposed through the drainage holes in the bottom of each planting tray. Direct contact between the soil and capillary mating will result in capillary water flow from the reservoir to the soil and your plants.
Water the soil in the planting tray from above to make sure it is moist before placing the tray on the capillary matting. The capillary flow will be hindered if the soil is dry. If the water reservoir runs dry and the soil dries out, be sure to water the soil from above as well as refill the water reservoir. This will ensure that the capillary flow starts again.
The capillary matting supplied with this unit should last for at least 2 years. In hard water areas, the performance of the matting may be adversely affected by lime scale deposits. If the matting accumulates lime deposits, you can restore the efficiency of the matting by soaking it in a vinegar solution. Rinse the matting thoroughly in water before reusing.
If you have any questions, contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org