First Editions® Wildfire™ Winterberry and Southern Gentleman Winterberry
- Dramatic, berry-laden branches brighten the winter landscape and are ideal for cutting for seasonal displays
- Berries also provide food for winter birds
- Wildfire is a female variety with brilliant red berries; requires a male plant to produce berries
- Southern Gentleman Winterberry is a (non-berry-producing) male required for pollination
Winterberries offer spectacular color in the winter garden, their brilliant red fruits adorning stems long after foliage has dropped. This deciduous holly is hardier than its evergreen cousins, and the abundant berries are even more striking on the bare branches. Cut some berry-covered branches to use as winter decorations; leave some on the plants to attract berry-eating birds. Winterberries produce separate male and female plants. Wildfire is a female plant; to produce berries it needs a compatible male plant nearby. We recommend Southern Gentleman (handsome foliage, non-berry-producing) for pollination. A good guideline is to plant at least one male plant for every six female plants nearby. Shipped bareroot.Advantages of bareroot plants:
- Healthier plants with less root circling than container plants
- Shipped while dormant, so there's less shock during shipping
- Shrubs are planted in early spring, so roots can settle in and begin growing before plant leafs out
- Shrubs acclimate quickly to the garden and start growing faster than container-grown plants
- Winterberries usually begin producing abundant berries about three years after planting
- 18" to 24" tall bareroot plant
- Wildfire winterberry (female, produces berries): Ilex verticillata 'Bailfire'
- Wildfire's mature size is 8' wide and 6' to 7' high
- Southern Gentleman winterberry (male, no berries): Ilex verticillata 'Southern Gentleman'
- Southern Gentleman's mature size is 6' to 10' wide and 8' to 10' high (may be pruned after flowering to maintain a smaller size)
- Hardy in zones 4-9
- Full sun
- Grows well in most soils, including soils that remain moist to wet
- Shipping by growing zone begins in early April and continues through June
- International delivery is not available for this item
- Sorry, no shipments to AA,AE,AF,AK,AP,GU,HI,PR,VI
- Faster shipping is not available for this item.
- Please provide a physical street address for delivery.
- Would you like to specify a delivery week? Call us at 1-888-833-1412 to place your order!