This item is currently not available.
American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America
- Learn what inspired the White House Kitchen Garden and follow its progress from planting to harvest
- See how gardens can help build stronger communities and encourage healthy lifestyles
- A fact-filled and thought-provoking book with colorful photographs that bring the story to life
In American Grown, First Lady Michelle Obama tells the story of what inspired her to plant the White House Kitchen Garden in the spring of 2009, and then documents the garden's progress though the growing season, from designing and planting to tending and harvesting. The author candidly shares her challenges as a novice gardener, as well as her joy at watching lettuce, tomatoes, collards, sweet potatoes and other crops flourish on the South Lawn.
As the White House Kitchen Garden grew, so did the national conversation about the way we eat and the impact it has on the health and well-being of our children. Throughout the book, the author weaves in stories about gardens all across the country, from a WWII-era Victory Garden in Chicago to urban and school gardens that not only provide nutritious harvests for the gardeners, but also build community, stock food shelves and teach children important lessons about making healthy life choices. The book also includes loads of helpful tips for home gardeners, plus recipes for making the most of the harvest.
- Hardcover, 272 pages
- 8-3/4" W x 9-1/2" H x 1" thick
- Published by Crown Publishers, New York, 2012
- ISBN-13: 978-0307956026